PROPOSED CHARTER OF THE (ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL SCHOOLS OF SOUTHEAST ASIA? ASEAN MEDICAL SCHOOLS NETWORK?)
The Association of Medical Schools of Southeast Asia (AMSSEA), ASEAN Medical Schools Network (AMSN) is a private, non-political, non-profit, volunteer, collaborative, academic organization that was founded to promote the highest standards of medical education in the Southeast Asian region thru collegial cooperation and effective exchange of best academic practices and information. The purpose of the Association is to stimulate and develop co-operation between Medical Schools, Faculties and students in Southeast Asia and to develop their relations with other professional, governmental and non-governmental organizations in education, academic management, medical research and health care.
Name. The name of the organization shall be The Association of Medical Schools of Southeast Asia/ASEAN Medical Schools Network. Southeast Asia shall also be considered as the region as defined by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Office. The Association shall establish an office at a site to be determined by the General Assembly.
Fiscal Year. The fiscal year shall be based on the calendar year.
Non-stock/Non-Profit Nature. The association shall not pursue activities for economic gain. The members shall receive no benefits from the Association. In particular, no person may be favoured by donations which are alien to the purpose of the Association, or from disproportionately high remuneration.
The main aim of the AMMSEA/AMSN shall be to promote the highest standards of medical education in the Southeast Asian region thru collegial cooperation and effective exchange of best academic practices and information. Towards this end, the AMMSEA/AMSN shall endeavor to:
- Conduct regular meetings of the Executive committee/Office bearers and General Assembly and whenever required, special meetings.
- Conduct regular academic conferences
- Establish working groups and committees
- Promote exchanges of faculty and students
- Ensure quality assurance for the above activities
- Establish and develop relations with other professional, governmental and non-governmental organisations in education, academic management, medical research and health care;
Acquisition of Membership
- Membership shall be open to medical schools or colleges that offer a full course in instruction leading to a medical degree and are duly registered and recognized by the government in the Southeast Asian region where it is based.
- Membership shall be classified according to the following:
2.1 Charter Member – shall refer to the medical schools that have participated in meetings and conferences since _____. These schools are the following:
2.2 Regular member – shall refer to the medical schools that apply and are accepted into the Association subsequent to _____.
3. All members shall be represented at meetings of the Association by their respective Deans and/or their duly designated representatives
4. The Executive Committee approves applications for membership and maintain a register of members
5. Membership dues may be charged in the amount and frequency to be determined by the Executive committee
Termination of Membership
- Membership may terminate with resignation, deletion or exclusion
- Resignation shall be submitted no less than one month before the Regular Meeting.
- The Executive Committee may delete a member if more than two years in ar-rears with the payment of the membership fee or absence in the General Assembly.
- A member may be excluded by the Executive Committee because of a serious violation of rules and/or by dishonourable behaviour.
- An appeal against exclusion may be made to the General Assembly. Pending any appeal the exclusion shall be suspended.
Rights and Duties of Members
1) The members have the right to attend the Regular Meetings and to vote in the General Assembly.
2) Each member has one vote in the General Assembly. The voting right of a Medical School will be exercised by the dean or their duly designated representative to be appointed by the Medical School. Members of a Medical School who have no voting right according to the application for admission however have the rights of petition and speaking.
3) The duties of the members are:
a) to promote the interests of ___and to refrain from activities prejudicial to the high reputation of ____,
b) to observe the Charter and the resolutions of the organs of the General Assembly,
c) to pay the membership fee annually.
The members of ____in good standing who are attending the Regular Meeting shall constitute the General Assembly.
Duties of the General Assembly
1) The General Assembly is the highest authority of the Association.
2) The General Assembly of AMSE shall elect the Officers of the Association and the members of the Executive Committee.
3) The General Assembly shall discuss and decide those matters submitted by the Executive Committee.
4) The procedure of the General Assembly shall be conducted according to Roberts Rules of Procedure.
5) A special meeting of the General Assembly may be called by the President within 6 to 12 weeks after receiving a written request from at least one third of the members’ representative of at least 5 different countries. An agenda with the subject(s) to be discussed at that special meeting shall accompany the request.
The Executive Committee and Officers
1) The Executive Committee shall be composed of:
a) the President,
b) the Vice-President
c) the Secretary-General,
d) the Treasurer and
e) 5 other regular members.
2) The Officers of the Association shall be the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary-General, and the Treasurer.
3) The President of ____shall serve ex officio as Chairman of the Executive Committee. Notwithstanding the duration of tenure of any membership of the Executive Committee, the President shall serve the full term of ___years after election to the post of President. The President shall chair the meetings of the General Assembly. The President of ____is eligible for re-election for one further term of ___years.
4) The Vice-President of ____shall serve ex officio as Vice Chairman of the Executive Committee. Notwithstanding the duration of tenure of any membership of the Executive Committee, the Vice-President shall serve the full term of ___years after election to the post of President. The Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President. The President of ____is eligible for re-election for one further term of ___years
5) The Secretary General of ___also known as the Secretary shall also be the Secretary of the Executive Committee. Notwithstanding the duration of tenure of any membership of the Executive Committee, the Secretary shall serve the full term of ___ years after election to the post of Secretary, and is eligible for re-election for one further term of 3 years.
6) The Treasurer of ____shall also be the Treasurer of the Executive Committee. Notwithstanding the duration of tenure of any membership of the Executive Committee, the Treasurer shall serve the full term of ___years after election to the post of Treasurer, and is eligible for re-election for one further term of ___years.
7) The General Secretary and Treasurer may be one and the same person.
8) The Executive Committee shall consist of 9 full members, being representa-tives of Individual Full Members as defined in the sections above, elected by the body of the General Assembly. The Executive Committee shall have a quorum in the presence of 5 full members.
9) Each elected member of the Executive Committee shall serve for a period of ___years and is eligible for re-election for one further term of ___years.
10) Nominations for election to membership of the Executive Committee may be made only by Individual Full Members of _____ in good standing in elections to be called by the General Assembly. Nominations shall require the support of the representatives of two Individual Full Members. The Secretary shall be the returning officer. The Secretary shall receive the conforme of the nominee to stand for election.
11) Nominations for election of the Officers of the Association may be made only by duly elected members of the Executive Committe. Nominations shall require the support of two members of the Executive Committee.
Duties of the Officers
1) The Officers work together to represent _____ both legally and at all other times. The Officers manage the day to day business, with the support of the Executive Committee, the help of the Secretariat and prepare the Regular and General Meetings.
2) In the case of absence of any one of the Officers, a member of the Executive Committee will represent this Officer.
3) The Vice President shall assist the President, preside over the Executive Committee and General Assembly in the absence of the President and other functions that may be assigned by the President
3) The Secretary General shall assist the President and maintain the minutes of the General Assembly and the Executive Committee.
4) The Treasurer shall be responsible for the regularity and integrity of all financial matters.
Duties of the Executive Committee
1) The Executive Committee will manage the affairs of the Association, carry out the policies formulated by the General Assembly and such further duties and functions delegated to it by the General Assembly.
2) The Executive Committee shall recommend to the General Assembly the rates of the annual subscriptions of members for adoption.
3) ____ shall operate through working groups or committees to be chaired by a member of the Executive who shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
4) The non-Executive Committee members of the working groups should be ap-pointed from members of the Association and/or others.
5) The Association will hold Regular Meetings and/or other Meetings. The dates and topics for these meetings shall be decided by the Executive Committee.
6) The President chairs the Regular and General meetings. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall chair the meeting, in the absence of the President and the Vice President, the Secretary General shall chair the meeting. In the absence of all Officers a chairman is elected by all members present.
7) The Executive Committee shall have the authority to co-opt additional persons to serve on the Committee for such periods as the committee deems necessary. Co-opted members shall not have the right to vote in the Executive Committee.
The following committees shall be constituted in order to promote the objectives of ____:
- Academic Conference Committee – This committee shall be tasked to prepare and organize the content and proceedings of the annual and other academic conferences of ____. It shall submit its recommendations for final approval by the Executive Committee.
- Research Agenda Committee – This committee shall supervise the development of a common research agenda, organize appropriate research study groups and facilitate completion and publication of research output conducted under the auspices of ____.
- Faculty and Student Exchanges Committee – This committee shall facilitate the conduct of faculty, student and staff exchanges between and among the member schools of the ____.
- External Linkages Committee – This committee shall facilitate the establishment of linkages between ____ and other professional, governmental and non-governmental organizations in education, academic management, medical research and health care;
- Membership Committee – This committee shall be tasked to process and evaluate applications for membership, monitor the status of current members and recommend appropriate actions in the event of non-compliance to membership rules and regulations
- This charter may be amended only thru a resolution proposed by at least two members of ____. The resolution must be submitted in writing at least 60 days before a scheduled General Assembly and approved by at least two-thirds of those eligible to vote in the General Assembly.